R. Jay Turner
|Website:||Center for Demography and Population Health profile|
Areas of Specialization:
- Stress and mental health/substance use problems
- Psychiatric epidemiology
- Risk and protective factors for mental health and substance use problems
Education and Recent Professional Experience:
- Professor, Department of Sociology, Florida State University (2002-present)
- Professor, College of Health and Urban Affairs; Director, Life Course and Health Research Center, Florida International University (1999-2002)
- Research Professor, Department of Sociology, University of Miami (1995-1999)
- Professor, Department of Sociology, University of Toronto (1989-1995)
- Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of British Columbia (1986-1989)
- Professor, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Western Ontario (1977-1986)
- Associate Professor to Professor, Department of Sociology, University of Western Ontario (1972-1986)
- Associate Professor, Department of Sociology and Department of Psychiatry, Temple University (1968-1972)
- Senior Research Scientist, New York State Mental Health Research Unit, Syracuse University (1964-1968)
Selected Papers and Publications:
- Turner, R. Jay, Andres Gil, 2002. "Psychiatric and Substance Disorders in South Florida: Racial/Ethnic and Gender Contrasts in a Young Adult Cohort." Archives of General Psychiatry 59:43-50.
- Turner, R. Jay and Lloyd, Donald, 2003. "Cumulative Adversity and Drug Dependence in Young Adults: Racial/Ethnic Contrasts." Addiction, 98,(3), (292-305).
- Turner, R. Jay. 2003. "The Pursuit of Socially Modifiable Contingencies in Mental Health." Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 44(1), 1-17.
- Turner, R. Jay and William R. Avison. 2003. "Status Variations in Stress Exposure Among Young Adults: Implications for the Interpretation of Prior Research." Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 44, 488-505.
- Lloyd, Donald A. and R. Jay Turner. 2003. "Cumulative Adversity and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: Evidence from a Diverse Community Sample of Young Adults." American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 73:381-391.
- Turner, R. Jay, John Taylor and Karen Van Gundy. 2004. "Ethnicity, Personal Resources, and Depression in Young Adulthood." Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 45, (March): 34-52.
- Turner, R. Jay and Donald A. Lloyd. 2004. "Stress Burden and the Lifetime Incidence of Psychiatric Disorder in Young Adults: Racial/Ethnic Contrasts." Archives of General Psychiatry, 61,(May), (481-488).
- Barrett, Anne E. and R. Jay Turner, 2006. "Family Structure and Substance Use Problems in Adolescence and Young Adulthood." Addition, 101, 109-120.
- Turner, R. Jay, Lloyd, Donald A. and John Taylor. 2006. "Stress Burden, Drug Dependence, and the Hispanic Nativity Paradox." Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 83(1), 79-89.
- Turner, R. Jay, Lloyd, Donald A. and John Taylor. (in press). "Physical Disability and Mental Health: An Epidemiology of Psychiatric and Substance Disorders." Rehabilitation Psychology.
- Turner, R. Jay, Glover, Regan, Hutto, Pamela and David Russell. (in press) "The Social Distribution and Antecedents of Anger Proneness." Journal of Health and Social Behavior.