Janice M. McCabe
Areas of Specialization:
- Social Inequalities - Gender, Race, and Ethnicity
- Sociology of Education
- Sociology of Childhood and Youth
- Social Psychology
- Sociology of Sexuality
- Qualitative and Quantitative Methods
- Contemporary Sociological Theory
- Contemporary Theories of Gender
- Sociology of Sex and Gender
- Childhood in Society
- Social Problems
- The Gender Attitude and Belief Inventory (GABI): A tool to better understand theoretical perspectives on gender, including types of feminism. VIEW
Education and Recent Professional Experience:
- Ph.D. in Sociology, Indiana University
- M.A. in Sociology, Indiana University
- B.A. in Women’s Studies and Sociology, Tulane University
Selected Papers and Publications:
- Koji Ueno, Eric R. Wright, Matthew Gayman, and Janice McCabe. Forthcoming “Segregation in Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Youth’s Personal Networks: Testing Structural Constraint, Choice Homophily, and Compartmentalization Hypotheses.” Social Forces.
- Janice McCabe, Karin Brewster, and Kathryn Harker Tillman. Forthcoming . "Patterns and Correlates of Same-Sex Sexual Activity among U. S. Teens and Young Adults." Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health. Scheduled for Volume 43, Issue 3 (September).
- Christian Vaccaro, Douglas Schrock, and Janice McCabe. Forthcoming. “Managing Emotional Manhood: Fighting and Fostering Fear in Mixed Martial Arts.” Social Psychology Quarterly. Scheduled for Volume 74, Number 4 (December 2011) or Volume 75, Number 1 (March 2012).
- Janice McCabe. Forthcoming . “Doing Multiculturalism: An Interactionist Analysis of the Practices of a Multicultural Sorority.” Journal of Contemporary Ethnography. Scheduled for Volume 40, Number 5 (October).
- Janice McCabe, Emily Fairchild, Liz Grauerholz, Bernice Pescosolido, and Daniel Tope. 2011. “Gender in Twentieth-Century Children’s Books: Patterns of Disparity in Titles and Central Characters.” Gender & Society 25(2):197-226. READ
- John Bancroft, J. Scott Long, and Janice McCabe. 2011. “Sexual Well-Being: A Comparison of U.S. Black and White Women in Heterosexual Relationships.” Archives of Sexual Behavior 40(4):725-740. READ
- Janice McCabe, Amanda E. Tanner, and Julia Heiman. 2010. “The Impact of Gender Expectations on Meanings of Sex and Sexuality: Results from a Cognitive Interview Study.” Sex Roles 62(3-4):252-263. READ
- Janice McCabe and Douglas Schrock. 2009. “Further Reflections on the Term ‘Bitch.’” Sociological Analysis 3(1):118-122. READ
- Janice McCabe. 2009. “Racial and Gender Microaggressions on a Predominantly-White Campus: Experiences of Black, Latina/o and White Undergraduates.” Race, Gender and Class. 16(1):133-151. READ
- Jeffrey C. Dixon and Janice McCabe. 2006. “Competing Perspectives in the Classroom: The Effect of Sociology Students’ Perceptions of ‘Balance’ on Evaluations.” Teaching Sociology 34: 111-125. READ
- Janice McCabe. 2005. “Who are the Experts? Medicalization in Teen Magazine Advice Columns.” Sociological Studies in Children and Youth 11:153-191. READ
- Janice McCabe. 2005. “What’s in a Label? The Relationship between Feminist Self-Identification and ‘Feminist’ Attitudes among U.S. Women and Men.” Gender & Society 19 (4): 480-505. READ
Manuscripts in Progress:
- Douglas Schrock, Janice McCabe, and Christian Vaccaro. “Batterers' Tragic Relationships: Narrative Resistance In and Out of a Batterer Intervention Program.”
- Janice McCabe and Brandon A. Jackson. “The Financial Aid Grapevine: How People and Organizations Impact Students’ Experiences with Financing College.”
- Janice McCabe. “Making Theory Relevant: The Gender Attitude and Belief Inventory.”
- Janice McCabe. “The Significance of Race and Ethnicity for Students’ Friendship Network Density at a Predominantly-White University.”
- University Teaching Award, Florida State University, 2009-2010.
- Committee on Faculty Research Support Grant, Council on Research and Creativity, Florida State University, 2008.
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Grant, Directorate for Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences, 2004-2005.
- Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE)/Lumina Foundation for Education Dissertation Fellowship, 2004-2005.
- Edward H. Sutherland Award for Excellence in Teaching, Sociology Department, Indiana University, 2004.