History of the
Florida Flambeau and FSView
Freeman Yates suggested the name Flambeau when the paper first began
publication in 1915.
January 23, 1915 the first issue of the weekly student newspaper, the
Florida Flambeau, was published. Lucile Freeman Yates of Tallahassee
suggested the name of the newspaper, Flambeau, which comes from
the word torch.
Ruby Leach, the newspaperís first editor,
informed Milton Smith, editor of the Tallahassee Democrat, that
there was not enough news about the Florida State College for Women in
the paper. After this conversion she was hired to write two columns per
week on campus activities, at $0.50 per column. Realizing that there was
enough going on around campus to put out its own newspaper, President
Conradi presented this idea to the students, and from there the Florida
Flambeau was born. Their offices were located in the basement and
first floors of the Education Building.
sponsors were responsible for supervising and evaluating all student publications,
including the Flambeau. In the beginning the staff cautiously worded
its editorials and rarely published commentaries. Dr. William George Dodd,
Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and also head of the Department
of English, reviewed each edition before it was printed. After about a year
in publication, an editorial occasionally voiced an opinion contrary to
regulations but consistent with common sense. It wasnít until after WWI
that the Flambeau dared challenge the administration out-right. As
the Student Government Association gained strength and focus,
so did the Flambeau, devoting much of their attention to campus issues.
In 1920 an editorial challenged the habit of several faculty members skipping
required chapel services. It asked, "Where are the professors in chapel?
We meet every day at noon in the auditorium for a few minutes of devotion,
yet a majority of the teachers are conspicuous for their absence."
the 1930's students distributed the newspaper in a wagon they called
the "Flambeau Flier."
of the 1953 Flambeau news staff.
In 1932 a new and lucrative source of income
became a possibility for the Flambeau,
cigarette advertising. The Executive Council composed of deans and college
officials voted against the paperís request to advertise these products.
However, by 1935 both Lucky Strike and Chesterfield cigarette ads appeared
in the publication.
The 1948-49 Student Handbook defined the Flambeau
as ". . .a torch of expression: the studentís means of taking stands
for and against all issues that arise; it is a torch of knowledge: the studentís
way of knowing what is being done in every phase of life here; and it is
a torch of progress: the means by which students may further new ideas and
new plans for this university."
the next twenty years the Florida Flambeau remained on campus. Then
in 1972, funding for the newspaper was cut. Struggling for survival, the
Flambeau moved off campus. They proved their critics wrong while
they continued to prosper as an independent paper. Until 1992 when many
students, angered by what they considered to be biased reporting, spoke
out against the Flambeau.
From these protests a group of students
decided to begin their own "non-biased" newspaper, and started
the FSView. FSU alumnus and Seminole Boosters Executive Director
Charlie Barnes created the idea for the name, short for the Florida State
Flambeau Editor-In-Chief, Bill Dunn.
Due to financial
difficulties, in January of 1998 the Florida Flambeau stopped printing.
Six months later, the FSView purchased the Florida Flambeau
in order to save the publications 83-year-old history and name. Now officially
known as the FSView & Florida Flambeau, it serves as the official
independent student newspaper for Florida State University.
*Click on pictures
for larger image.
For the online edition of the FSView
and Florida Flambeau, go to