| florida state university |
Relive FSU History

Sesqui Logo



Welcome

Council & Commission

Calendar

History
  Francis Eppes VII
  1851 - 1905
  1905 - 1947
  1947 - 1959
  1959 - 1980
  1980 - 1990
  Present

Partners

Resources

Commemorative Items

150 Home

FSU Home

 



National High Magnetic Field Laboratory Established


06bxx
National High Magnetic Field Laboratory c1994
In 1989, Drs. Jack Crow, Don Parkin, and Neil Sullivan, representing Florida State University, Los Alamos National Laboratory, and the University of Florida respectively, submitted a proposal to the National Science Foundation for a new national user laboratory supporting research in high magnetic fields. The plan articulated a new vision for a magnet laboratory:

* A model federal-state partnership
* Serving magnet-related research in nearly all areas of science
* Promoting interdisciplinary research
* Supporting science and technology education
* Working in partnership with industry to enhance the competitive position of the United States in areas of magnet-related research and development.


06b01
National High Magnetic Field Laboratory c1994

Following a stringent peer-review competition, the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory was awarded to Florida State University in August 1990. The laboratory is strongly supported by the State of Florida and operated by FSU, UF, and LANL with state-of-the-art research facilities at all three sites.

http://www.magnet.fsu.edu/about/history.html

 


Welcome | Council & Commission | Calendar | History | Partners | Resources
150th Home Page | FSU Home Page

Sesquicentennial Coordinator:
Carmen Braswell
©2000 Florida State University » University Relations
Site Management: Debbie Kelly

Original Design: Steve Rine