4 Practical Resources for Linking Service-Learning and the Florida Sunshine State Standards
In 2000, Florida Learn & Serve began compiling information showing linkages between service learning and the Sunshine State Standards. Local practitioners and trainers examined existing documents from Kentucky, Wisconsin, South Carolina, and Vermont, and made recommendations for a product that encompassed three key areas:
- Detailed profiles of effective service-learning projects across subjects and grade levels, with lists of the key standards that those projects addressed.
- A table listing the standards, with ideas/suggestions of service-learning activities that match each standard.
- A table listing the standards, the elements of service learning, and identifying which standards are addressed under each element/aspect of an effective service-learning project.
- Examples of service-learning lesson plans--from multiple grades and subjects as well as types of activities--and the standards those plans/activities address.
This document is the culmination of three years of effort to identify, assemble, organize, compose, review, and edit examples of the many ways that service-learning addresses education standards. Florida teachers and program administrators involved in service-learning provided most of the content of the publication.
Entire Document (1.89 MB) - alternatively you can download 4 Practical Resources section by section. This download does not include the cover which is available seperately below.
*** PLEASE NOTE- Full document download does not include letter size versions of the 4 Practical Resources POSTERS (1.32MB PDF).Full sized version available. Please email us with the subject areas and number of copies you would like to receive.
Part 2: Service-Learning Activities that Address the Sunshine State Standards
- Listing of Standards by Level (67 kb)
- Elementary School Standards (398 kb)
- Middle School Standards (350 kb)
- High School Standards (388 kb)
- Table (Legal Size) (1.27 MB) ***
version of table (Letter Sized) (1.32
Full sized version available. Please email us with the subject areas and number of copies you would like to receive.
*** NOT INCLUDED IN FULL DOCUMENT ABOVE - DOWNLOAD SEPARATELY
Part 3: Tables of the Intersection of Service-Learning Elements and Education Standards
- Service-Learning and the Florida Sunshine State Standards (951 kb)
- Service-Learning and the Florida Goal 3 Standards (236 kb)
- Service-Learning and the Florida Applied Technology Standards (82 kb)
Part 4: Examples of service-learning lesson plans and the standards those plans/activities address
- Index to Lesson Plans (72 kb)
- Pre-K (152 kb)
- K - 2nd Grade (159 kb)
- 3rd - 5th Grade (179 kb)
- 6th - 8th Grade (75 kb)
- 9th - 12th Grade (166 kb)
- All Grades (K-12) (112 kb)
(The above files require the free Adobe Reader.)