The announcement of the death of General Edward Johnson, which occurred at Ford's Hotel, in this city, on Sunday morning at 1 o'clock, will be received throughout Virginia with the deepest regret; and in every part of the South, where he was known and admired, the history of his gallant actions will be recited in praise, and the warmest sympathy tendered to the Old Dominion in the loss of so distinguished an officer, so courteous a gentleman, and so valued a citizen.

Biographical Sketch.

General Johnson was born in Salisbury, Chesterfield county, Virginia, on the 12th of May, 1816, and therefore, at his death, was in the fifty-seventh year of his age. In the year 1838 he graduated at West Point with Generals Beauregard, Hardee, and others of the Confederate States army, and General McDowell and others of the United States army. Shortly afterwards he was appointed Second Lieutenant in the Sixth United States Infantry, and served with distinction in that capacity in the Seminole war in Florida. In September, 1847, while yet a Lieutenant in the United States service, he was brevetted Captain for gallantry and meritorious conduct as a officer at Moleno del Rey.


his services in General Scott's Line were fully appreciated; and he was twice brevetted for gallant conduct--at Cherubusco and at the storming of Chepultepec. At the close of the was he held the rank of Brevet Major. The news of his valued services soon reached his native State, and for his courage and soldierly conduct the State of Virginia presented him with a an elegant sword. After the Mexican war he served on the frontier.

In 1861 he resigned his commission in the United States Army and determined to leave New Mexico, and hastened home. But a short time elapsed when he was appointed


His capacity as an officer was soon fully demonstrated. He rose to the position of Brigadier-General in the Confederate Army. At the memorable battle of Alleghany he defeated General Reynolds, and here received a painful wound, which for a brief period disabled him from service.

When he had recovered and returned to duty he was promoted to the rank of Major-General (just before the Gettysburg campaign) and assigned to the command of


which now consisted of the "Stonewall Brigade," commanded by General J.A. Walker; the Second Virginia brigade, under General John M. Jones; the Louisiana brigade, under General Stafford; and the Third Virginia brigade. Soon after he joined the command the veteran Ewell led his corps across the mountains to the capture of Milroy's force at Winchester. While Early made the movement to the flank and rear of Winchester, Johnson skillfully and gallantly engaged the attention of the enemy in front, and contributed materially to Early's brilliant success in the capture of the outer forts. He cut off the retreat of Milroy's forces and captured the greater part of them.


with Ewell and bore a most conspicuous part in the fighting done by the Second corps (Jackson's) at Gettysburg. In the second day's battle Johnson's division captured a portion of the enemy's works on the heights, which they held until the next day.

He came back with the Army of Northern Virginia as it withdrew from Pennsylvania, and devoted himself during the winter to the effective discipline and equipment of his division. Rigid in his discipline, stern in demanding the strictest compliance with his orders, and severe upon delinquents, he yet won the respect and admiration of his men by his conspicuous gallantry on the field and his strict justice to all in the camp. When


opened, Johnson's division led the advance of Ewell's corps down the old turnpike, and was the first to strike Grant's column as it was advancing through the Wilderness.

In the severe fight which followed, although his division was thrown into temporary confusion by the fall of "the gallant Brigadier-General John M. Jones" (as General Lee called him in his official report), General Johnson acted with his accustomed gallantry and skill, and contributed no little to that brilliant victory which frustrated Grant's plan of campaign and forced him to stop in the Wilderness and fight.

He participated in the subsequent fighting in the Wilderness and the first day's at Spotsylvania Courthouse, and on the night of May 11th was in command of the advanced line of the Confederates in front of Spotsylvania Courthouse. At 9 o'clock that night he made a personal reconnoissance, and discovered evidence of a purpose on the part of the enemy to attack his position. He at once communicated this fact to his superiors, and begged that his artillery, which, through some misconception of orders, had been withdrawn, might be returned to him. Again and again during the night he begged for his artillery and for reinforcements, but they failed to come, and the heavy attack which Hancock made upon him at daybreak the next morning found him fully expecting it, yet still unprepared. [We are particular in giving these details, which we received from the lips of the noble soldier himself, because it has been frequently published that the Confederates were "surprised" on that memorable occasion] He met the onset with heroic courage.


he showed his brave boys what "close quarters" meant, and succeded in delaying the enemy until General Lee could hurry up the troops, which averted a great disaster.


But his heroism cost him a wearisome captivity, as he was captured with a large part of his command. General Johnson was not taken to Johnson's Island, where he remained for some time. Subsequently he was one of the Confederate prisoners of war who were sent to the vicinity of Charleston and placed under the fire of the Confederate guns.

Having spent a time here he was exchanged, and soon afterwards joined General John B. Hood's army in the West. At the battle of Nashville he was captured and sent fo Fort Adams, in Boston Harbor, where he was kept by the Federals until about a month after the surrender of General Lee's army at Appomattox. When released the gallant officer


and from that time until two months prior to his death led the life of a farmer, or engaged in mercantile life. Two months ago he came to Richmond from his residence, in Chesterfield, and stopped at Ford's Hotel, where he was taken sick, and, as we have said, died about 1 o'clock on Sunday morning.

Action of the General Assembly.

The intelligence of the death of General Johnson was announced in the House of Delegates by Mr. Lawson, of Isle of Wight county, who offered the following resolutions; which were unanimously adopted:

"Whereas the General Assembly has learned with deep regret of the death of General Edward Johnson; and whereas it has been proposed by his friends that his remains lie in state in the rotunda of the captiol until his funeral on Tuesday evening; and whereas his eminent services to his country entitle him to every mark of respect and esteem at the hands of the people's representatives, therefore be it

Resolved by the House of Delegates (the Senate concurring), That when the two Houses adjourn to-day they adjourn to meet on Wednesday at 12 o'clock.

"Resolved, That a copy of the resolutions be communicated to his family and be entered upon the journals of the House."

The resolutions were at once communicated to the Senate.

Mr. Hundley moved to take them up for consideration, and said that occasions like this are always sad and touching, but this is peculiarly so, following as it does so closely the death of another of Virginia's distinguished sons, the late Commodore Maury. Thus a second time within the new year the deathbell has sounded in the old mother's ears, and another of her glorious sons lays his head to its eternal rest on her bosom. Of all Virginia's immortal heroes no one deserved better his country than General Edward Johnson. A soldier from his boyhood up to the termination of our late unhappy civil strife, his sword was ever ready to defend the honor of his native State; and whether upon the plains of Mexico of her own bloodstained fields, it ever reflected the lustre of imperishable glory upon her honored history.

Virginia voted him a sword for his conspicuous gallantry displayed in the war with Mexico, and now her Legislature, by adjourning over in respect to his memory, will appropriately recognize his distinguished services. In paying this tribute to such a man let party feeling be softened and angry clamors over the past be hushed, for all may unite in honoring the patriot--a hero whose generous qualities reflect credit on all mankind.

The resolutions were then unanimously adopted by the Senate.

Lying in State.

The remains were conveyed from Ford's Hotel yesterday afternoon about half-past 3 o'clock, escorted by a detachment of the First Virginia regiment, and deposited in the rotunda of the State Capitol, where they will be removed to St. Paul's church, preparatory to the funeral.

The Funeral

will take place this afternoon at 4 o'clock from St. Paul's Episcopal church, and the remains will be taken to Hollywood and buried in section 2 of that part of the cemetery set apart for the burial of the Confederate soldiers and sailors. The board of managers of the Hollywood Memorial Association are invited to attend the funeral, and will assemble at St. Paul's church at 3½ P.M., where reserved seats will be shown them.

Programme of the Obsequies.

Colonel Christopher Tompkins, who was a personal friend of General Johnson, has been selected as chief marshal for the occasion. The following is the programme of the obsequies:

1. Military escort, to be composed of the First Virginia Regiment of Volunteers, Colonel Sloan commanding.
2. The hearse.
3. Pall-bearers.
4. Family and personal friends of the deceased.
5. Ladies' Memorial Association.
6. Survivors of any of the troops who composed at any time portions of the command of the deceased.
7. Officers and soldiers of the Army of Northern Virginia.
8. The Legislature.
9. The Executive Departments.
10. The Judiciary Departments.
11. Mayor of the city.
12. Members of the City Council and its officers.
13. Chamber of Commerce.
14. Corn and Flour Exchange and Tobacco Association.
15. Southern Cross Brotherhood, and the other benevolent associations who choose to participate.
16. Citizens and strangers.

In the event that any other association or organization may have been omitted, they will report the fact to the Chief Marshal, who will assign them position in the procession.

The above programme contemplates the formation of the procession in the order names as soon as the services in the church are ended.

Richmond Daily Dispatch, 4 March 1873.